Sunday 22 November 2015

Woman finds kidney donor after misplaced Craigslist advert

A transplant patient has found a kidney donor after her husband mistakenly posted an advert pleading for help on the wrong section of an internet listings site

Nina Saria, who has kidney failure caused by an autoimmune disease, was told last year that she would need transplant surgery and faced an anxious and long wait on an organ recipient list until a chance encounter with a man on Craigslist changed her life.
Nina's husband Kay placed on advert on Craigslist saying he was "looking for a brave and kind person" to save his wife's life but accidentally posted it on the construction materials section of the site. This led to New Jersey contractor Glenn Calderbank coming across the advert and offering to step in to help.
Nina said:
My husband and I were looking for a kidney donor and it's not an easy process.
Kay decided to post an ad on Craigslist- that he was looking for a brave and kind person to save his wife, we got a lot of responses from people but still none made it to testing. So you can imagine how I felt one day when Kay said there is a guy who wants to help.
I did not believe it that there would be a person who would come and change my life, so I told him to leave it alone, but when you love a person so much- I guess you don't give up and thanks to Kay I now have Glenn Calderbank, who was a total stranger from Craigslist but became part of my life.
– NINA SARIA
After getting tested to see if he would be a suitable donor Glenn, who lost his own wife to kidney failure four years ago, was found to be a match and is now preparing to undergo surgery to help Nina.
Speaking to NBC News Glenn said he was happy to be able to help as he felt his wife had wanted him to see the couple's advert.
He said: "I really think that I was supposed to see that ad. I don't know if you want to call it an angel, or karma or faith, everybody's got a different word for it. I didn't see it by accident."
Help
Glenn Calderbank is donating his kidney yo help a stranger from Craigslist Credit: NBC News 10
Since finding Glenn, Nina, who is now scheduled for transplant surgery on December 1, has said there is "nothing I can do to repay his kindness".
One thing Nina has done though is set up a gofundme page to raise funds for her donor to help him while he is out of work during his two month post-surgery recovery time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in comments are those of the comment writers alone and does not reflect or represent the views of Ochuko Arhiakpore.
+2348176236720
Leave a comment