Friday 11 September 2015

Steven Gerrard would have stayed at Liverpool for coach job

Former Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has admitted he would have stayed at the club if they offered him a coaching role.Gerrard believes he would have been a suitable replacement for outgoing coaches Colin Pascoe and Mike Marsh, but the club looked elsewhere.

Without an offer from manager Brendan Rodgers to join his staff, the midfielder left to sign for MLS side LA Galaxy.
Steven Gerrard

"Ability-wise, I could still play but physically I couldn't play every game at my age," Gerrard said in the Daily Mail. "I didn't enjoy being sub last season. I didn't enjoy not knowing if I would be in the XI or not.
"I might be contradicting myself here but what would have kept me at Liverpool into this season was the chance of shadowing Brendan Rodgers and his staff as well as playing. Those ideas were only mentioned to me after I had announced I was leaving.
"I don't know if I am going to be good enough to be a manager, or a number one, number two, number three or number four. Liverpool replaced coaches Colin Pascoe and Mike Marsh in the summer, so they were looking for a new number two, or number three or number four. I would have been tailor-made to fill one of these roles, as well as making myself available as a squad player.
"I could have been a good squad player, a good sub, as well as getting management experience that money can't buy."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in comments are those of the comment writers alone and does not reflect or represent the views of Ochuko Arhiakpore.
+2348176236720
Leave a comment