Friday 11 December 2015

Backpacker barred from renting room by landlord who brands Aussies 'drunk and racist'

An Australian woman was shocked when told she couldn’t rent a flat in Edinburgh because people from Down Under were ‘drunks and racists.’

Laura Gratton, 24, had recently moved to Scotland and applied to an ad for a £400-a-month room in the city centre.
But she was horrified when the landlord instantly rejected her request, branding Australia the most ‘racist nation’ in the world.
The message read: “It is well known in Europe that Australians are racist. In fact around the world your people are famous for this.
Laura Gratton, 24, was refused from renting a flat in Endinburgh for being Australian
 Mercury Press

“Just as France is famous for wine and cheese. Australia is famous for its drunks and racists. I'm sorry I need to reject this request.”
The Melbourne backpacker protested, pointing out that the landlord’s statement was actually racist.
She wrote: “You obviously are quite racist putting such labels and speculations on a whole race without knowing the individual.
Laura Gratton, 24, was refused from renting a flat in Endinburgh for being Australian
 Mercury Press
“The majority of my closest friends are from across the globe so would hate to think I'm racist.
“So thank you for rejecting this email, I don't think we would get along at all. And I suggest you actually visit Australia and realise how multicultural we are.”
The landlord sent her a link to a news item about racism in Australia.
Laura Gratton, 24, was refused from renting a flat in Endinburgh for being Australian
 Mercury Press
He wrote: “Hi, I'm not judging a whole race. I don't want to take the risk.
“It is fact Australia is the most racist nation, your people are so open about it as well.
“This is what you Australians are known for in Europe. I think we would still get along by the way.
“Anyway, good luck.”
Miss Gratton said afterwards: “When I first received the response I thought it was just a joke but then I realised that he was being serious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in comments are those of the comment writers alone and does not reflect or represent the views of Ochuko Arhiakpore.
+2348176236720
Leave a comment