Tuesday 8 December 2015

Ighalo: I got 'crazy' £10million offer from China

Odion Ighalo has revealed the sleepless nights he spent agonising about whether to join Chinese side Hebei China Fortune for £10million in the summer but his scoring streak for Watford has convinced him he made the right decision.

The Nigerian is half of a formidable strike partnership with Troy Deeney and against Norwich the pair both scored meaning they now boast 14 of Watford’s 17 league goals this campaign.
 
But the 26-year-old, who arrived in Britain 18 months ago, came very close to leaving Vicarage Road in the summer

‘I had four or five offers but the China one was crazy,’ he said. ‘That kind of money is very tempting and for three days I could not sleep because I was thinking about it, so many things in my head, so many people saying things about it.

‘But I just kept calm and prayed, and then made my decision. It was my dream to play in England, which I watched when I was back in Nigeria and I wanted to be a part of it, so I didn¹t want to lose my dream because of money. Sometimes money is not everything. At my age, going to China would not be good for my career because I want to progress as a player.’
While Ighalo and Deeney are firing on all cylinders, Norwich have struggled for reliable goal scorers in the top flight with all their strikers wanting for form. 

Robbie Brady squandered two good chances at Vicarage Road and manager Alex Neil admitted he was frustrated.

‘If you've got someone in your team who can score double figures in the Premier League it gives you a great opportunity of winning games,’ said Neil, ‘We were scoring goals at the start of the season but we were having to be really expansive and it was costing us defensively.

'Now we've been a lot more defensive but it then becomes difficult at the top end of the pitch putting in the goals. I think we've got three or four good strikers in the squad at the moment. I don't think any of them have really nailed down the number 9 position so far and we're hoping someone will take it and go on a run.’

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in comments are those of the comment writers alone and does not reflect or represent the views of Ochuko Arhiakpore.
+2348176236720
Leave a comment